The Defence Headquarters has commenced preparations for the possible mobilization of its troops and equipment for a confrontation with the Junta in Niger Republic. This is in compliance with Economic Community of West African States Directive.
However, the ECOWAS Parliament remains divided over the use of military force on the Junta, which overthrew President Mohammed Bazoum on July 26.
ECOWAS had issued a one-week ultimatum to restore democracy while a delegation led by former Nigerian military Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar last week Thursday was set up to broker peace, all which was ignored by the coup plotters.
It is said that the Nigerian military high command had ordered the service chiefs to compile and submit war requirements such as the number of personnel, equipment, logistics and financial costs to the Chief of Defence Staff.
In reaction to the possible military intervention authorised by the sub-regional body, the Niger military leaders threatened to eliminate Bazoum should the ECOWAS attempt any military operation to restore democracy in the country.
However, the Director of Defence Information, Brig. Gen. Tukur Gusau, has assured Nigerians that Nigeria’s participation in the possible military operation in Niger would not affect the ongoing war against insecurity in the country.
Meanwhile in a new development the leader of the military Junta in Niger Republic, General Abdourahmane Tchiani, is said to have indicated interest in dialoguing with the leaders of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).